Let’s say you are a small or mid-sized organization starting the business. Would you prefer to use free open source PM software paying only for extra services if you really need them or you would you use the proprietary tool? While you are thinking on the answer, here are some free open-source project management applications, which don’t have any limitations for free versions…
phpCollab is an open source system for use in projects that require collaboration over the internet. The features included: team/client sites, task assignment, document repository/workflow, gantt charts, discussions, calendar, notifications, support requests, weblog newsdesk, invoicing, etc..
dotProject is a volunteer supported Project Management application. This tool is managed, maintained, developed and supported by a volunteer group and by the users themselves.
TeamLab business collaboration platform is an open-source software. TeamLab source code is listed on SourceForge and distributed under GNU GPL v3 license terms. It is available for download and deployment on your own server.
While the majority is using Google Docs, there are several decent alternatives…..
activeCollab gives people tools for:
- share, organize and comment on documents;
- organize the files into categories and sort by the time they are uploaded;
- track different file versions so you can see how it has evolved;
- preview the uploaded image.
The online document creation is impossible with activeCollab.
TeamLab Documents offers an online document management software, which allows you to:
- edit and create the files directly in the Internter Browser;
- centrally store and share your project documents over the web securely with project users;
- set the access rights;
- have your files always available when you need them.
Working with Zoho Docs you may:
- create, edit and share the documents directly in the browser without any additional software installations, anytime you have an account in Zoho Docs;
- set the access rights and have total control on your documentation workflow.
With CentralDesktop you may:
- upload and store files in one location;
- create online documents and spreadsheets;
- track document revision history and view audit logs.
DeskAway Docs allows you and your team:
- to store Word-like documents within your projects, that can be updated in real-time;
- to use Docs for storing project ideas, how-to guides, project documentation, program specs etc.